Thursday, September 23, 2010

Blog Entry 1.3

LaGuardia
Aaron Straker
9/23/10

                My life compared to Socrates life I don’t know how I can compare my current life to his.  So far I know some differences that me and Socrates have.  Socrates was a philosopher a lover of wisdom.  While like he said I live in a world of relative ignorance.  One of his quotes even describes me somewhat of the old me.  “We are even comfortable with that ignorance, because it is all we know.”  But now I’ve changed somewhat I’m not as ignorant as I use to be.  But now I actually don’t mind asking questions.  I’ll ask the same question more than once.  Some people may get mad but I want everything to be clear. 
                Right now in my life I would say that I’m not chained.  Because even though I have my opinions and still listen to others opinions and respect them.  Even if I know what they’re saying is obviously false.  I’ll even think things through most of the time.  When I was younger I never really liked feedback from others.  I took it as offence to myself and my intelligence.  Even though others were trying to help me.  But now I want other people’s feedback.  I’m not the kind of person who tries to impress others so because if you did that could mean you’re still in chains.  Because the only person I can fulfill is myself.  Socrates knew he was ignorant.  He just simply wanted to learn more and more.  I also know I’m ignorant and I don’t know about everything out in the world. 
                They are many things created that are shadows for us.  Mainly it’s technology that’s a shadow for everyone including myself.  Some television shows are big shadows for people.  People watch shows with real people doing things while they could actually be doing the same for themselves.  Another possible shadow for people is reality shows.  Because people are mostly watching others do things that doesn’t even benefit there life.  These are some of the many ways that technology has created shadows for us.  Devices such as IPods, I touch, I pads, Cell phones and etc have effects on your life.  Technology even has a negative effect on my life.  Technology is one of the many shadows created for society.  Socrates didn’t seem to have many shadows because there were no technological distractions in his everyday life.  He never boasted about being the smartest.  He would always tell others that he wasn’t that smart.
                Walking out into the light would possibly be very difficult.  Because everyone would have to change their ways.  Dropping a bad habit is never easy.  Coming out into the light would mean less internet for me.  I wouldn’t say TV because I don’t watch as much TV anymore.  For Socrates coming out into the light was much easier.  All Socrates wanted to do was to learn more and more.  The more he learned he wanted to learn even more.  The difference between us there is that I don’t have that same type of energy as Socrates.
                I never really tried to help get others free.  I listen to others opinions but I won’t force my ways onto others.  Because everyone has their own choice on how they want to approach things.  Socrates listened to how someone was going to do something.  Then he told them there was an easier way of doing it. 
                I know where I am from the way I behave on a regular basis.  I’m not shy I can talk to others.  I can easily answer questions.  If someone asks me a question I won’t be afraid to tell them I don’t know.  I won’t beat around the bush and say I’m not sure.  Because saying that makes you even more ignorant.  It’s better to know that your ignorant than trying to hide it.  A quote that relates to Socrates should be “curiosity killed the cat”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment